Saturday, January 2, 2010

Body

Do you know how much time I spent actually cleaning? I think I may have hit the 2 hour mark during the entire holiday season, and I'm being generous. You should get pictures, you would understand.

We think that there is some Asperger syndrome genetics running in my family. I went to wikipedia to see if that's what I have, cause I'm sometimes wishing that one thing, one word, could explain me. I read it through and no, I don't qualify. I have one or two traits, but that's allowed.

These days I have a fascination and complete self-immersion into knitting. I read about knitting constantly, and when I run out of print material (because I needed some time off from the internets), I read the pattern directions, I decipher the charts, I read the in-sleeve, I imagine knitting them with imaginary needles and yarn.

I created my own symbol set for my own charts of instructions. I spotted TWO errors in a brand new, advanced, beady-eyed cable socks pattern. I have never knitted cables. There is something there.

I've been reading The Yarn Harlot blog from it's beginning, in 2004. I am now at January 2005.

It's a very powerful draw. I think that it taps into a few things about me in a very neat way. First and foremost it is working with my hands, eyes, and mind, in that order. Knitting is a lot like computer programing, web designing, and project management which are all things that I am good at, but I can do it without programs and without a computer. That's where I'm loving it the most. It's also a thousand times easier to make a beautiful piece of knitwear, than to make a... web site. And really, who would wear a web site? How could you seduce with a web site? Who would give a website to a loved one? Give comfort with a web site? Make you beautiful? You see?

Secondly, it's creative design for the body. Meow.

I have to say I like the feel of fiber and the repetitive motions too. I do not like the abstraction of web applications or software design. The end product is not concrete, it's virtual and ephemeral, and that frustrates me.

One of the traits of Asperger syndrome is overwhelming interest in one thing; I have that sometimes.

This post was going to be about something else, but I digressed.

Amourx

No comments: